We have been in our new home for almost a year now. In our old house we had a bonus room above our garage that dubbed as a playroom and a guest room. The playroom side was a bright orange and the guest room side remained a neutral shade of eggshell. While I was pregnant with KAT it was nice to lay in the guest bed and watch MAT play. Eventually it led to me watching them both play and the design of the room evolved.

I was laying in the guest bed when I took this photo.

In our new home we lucked out with another bonus room, but decided that this time we don’t need a guest room. We have small children who require a lot of STUFF. I can count on one hand how often we’ve had an overnight guest in the last three years. Im a big believer of creating your home for your own needs and likes than for other people that don’t live there. Not only that, but would you rather clean up your children’s rooms every day of toys, clothes and more toys or be able to just toss the toys in one room specifically for that purpose and close the door? I choose the latter!

So now here we are. I hated the paint they used to sell this house. Room by room we have been making this chalky taupe paint disappear. One room that drove me insane was the playroom. With the dull lighting, dull paint, and colorful toys with no special place to put them just gave me a headache. We didn’t want to invest in shelving and decor before painting. Here is a glimpse of what our current playroom looked like before. I don’t have many pictures in there because… because… well because it was just a hot mess (literally).

KAT never uses that cradle for dolls LOL!

I had an accent wall taped in a triangular pattern for months, but never went through with the design. Then one day a friend of mine called and said needed a place to crash for a few weeks and I thought, “Great. Now I have to paint and get this place organized”.  I ripped the old tape job down and took an easier route.  Here is my color palette.

Shout out to my husband’s taping skills! Im the painter *wink wink*.

These Valspar Signature colors are also used in the girls bedrooms. MAT’s room is painted in Coral Reef and KAT’s is painted in Classic Lilac.  I started with a base color, Sea Lilly for the entire room which would also be the border color for my geometric shapes on my accent wall. We chose a satin finish because in our experience it is easier to clean.  The next phase is where the fun really began! TAPING SHAPES!!! There was no method to it and to be honest deciding where I wanted to put the next line was quite therapeutic.

I painted one color at a time (2 coats).

I was so excited pulling the tape back to reveal my masterpiece! 12 hours on this wall alone was totally worth it! I couldn’t wait to bring everything back in. But first, how were we going to keep everything organized? CUBBIES! I always wanted a library of books for the girls and these ClosetMaid  cubbies from Lowe’s would allow us to create a library effect along with storage bins to hide away the hundreds of loose toys. The Mainstays Window Storage Bins I picked up at Walmart are perfect for my strong need for organization. Each bin is organized by theme (movies, tv shows, plush, kids meal toys… blah, blah, blah). The window in the bins allows The Empress Sisters to see inside for what they want BEFORE dumping each bin in a mad search! MOM WIN! Now all 4 cubbies are going to be stacked on one wall, but we haven’t mounted them yet. For safety reasons we will temporarily keep them how they are.

This temporary reading corner will become my office nook (one of a few). It would be nice to work and be close to my little empresses.

There you have it! The playroom makeover is far from complete, but the hardest job of painting and creating storage is DONE! Oh and one last thing… our old couch that we’ve had before the children makes for good seating up here for us parents. This playroom is finally PLAYDATE ready!

One thought on “PLAYROOM MAKEOVER!!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *